I’ve just pushed some pretty hefty changes to the jQuery.Gantt project I’ve been developing with lately. I tried some other Gantt libraries, but they were either dependant upon ExtJS, no longer maintained or just didn’t play nicely with my pre-existing code. 

I settled on jQuery.Gantt, but there were a few things I found that really kept it from being an accessible, front-end developer friendly resource. For instance, you could previously only specify a URL as a data source, and not a local object. I needed to pre-parse another JSON feed before plugging it into the chart. There were also some conflicts when using the Twitter bootstrap, and the inability to place attributes on the Gantt bars meant no sexy popovers like below.

A lengthy list of changes follows:

  • Reduced conflicts with Twitter Bootstrap by name-spacing styles
  • Source now accepts data from a local object, not just a JSON call  
  • Can now extend data properties on to bars for use with Bootstrap popovers etc.
  • Code is now “use strict”
  • Fixed a couple of errors resulting from “use strict”
  • Various English translations: renamed months and days to english, hollydays/holidays
  • Redesigned buttons and slider with CSS3 and an image sprite
  • Modified category colours and styles
  • Made chart 100% width so it responds to parent container width
  • Began enforcing front end dev guidelines such as double quotations (but singles on HTML strings), triple equals comparison and using spans instead of hyperlinks for JavaScript interactivity
  • Updated demo page doctype to HTML5
  • Moved body styles from stylesheet to page to reduce style conflicts


Leave a Reply

Powered by: Wordpress